Thursday, February 24, 2011

I am number 4...and chances are that's where you'll stay....

Over the long weekend I saw I AM NUMBER FOUR, a movie that practically was written following the Joseph Campbell Guide To Writing and starring the latest pretty boy of the month along with the generic bit of blond arm candy whose names I don't remember and honestly won't even make the attempt to try...

I won't go into a long discourse about the plot because it follows the templates of the past...if you're even marginally familiar with Greek mythology you can recite it blindfolded and backwards. Nor will I bother to complain about the movies lack of originality...a condition Hollywood cured itself of back in the 90's. No, my gripe with this deliberate pile of drek is the sheer lack of effort the makers put into being derivative...if you're gonna stamp out carbon copy hero flicks for the teen market, at least try to give the appearance of effort. Accusing the of insulting our intelligence would be a waste of time (given that it debuted at number two on opening weekend, theres precious little intelligence to insult...) But some sincere fakery would be nice. As it is, you guys aren't even trying at this point...




No comments:

Post a Comment